Friday, January 10, 2020

First 2D platformer blog post

I haven't been doing too much over Christmas, but something I was working on during the first week after new years, was a small side scroller game where the player must collect pickups and get to the final large powerup.

It was a simple game with not much content, there were a few problems I encountered along the way but all in all nothing I couldn't fix. Mainly just bugs with collision, jumping or just general movement.

I finished it all off pretty early, at least everything I needed to include, so I decided to add a few pickups to the game, giving an objective for the player to complete. This then allowed me to be a bit creative with adding a mechanic into the game, letting the player jump higher with each powerup they collect, whilst balancing this mechanic by slowing down the player's horizontal velocity causing the player to need to think outside the box with how they reach certain areas.



No comments:

Post a Comment